Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Ingenuity is my middle name

I went down to the TU area today to mow a lawn and as I was unloading the mower, I realized I forgot something- bags. It wouldn't have been so bad if the grass wasn't eight inches tall, but there was no way I was going back home to get them. I decided that the best solution was to pick a spot in the backyard to empty the grass catcher out. Done and done. It was about the time I figured this out when I realized I had forgotten something else- insect repellant. There were already 4 mosquitos simultaneously sucking blood out of my legs when I bent down to prime the mower, so I swatted them and wiped my bloody hands on my shorts. This was ridiculous. I hadn't been here 5 minutes and I'm already getting eaten alive. I had to come up with a solution. I was trying to think of how I could repel these bloodsuckers away for the next hour when it hit me. Gasoline. I figured that if gasoline was harmful to humans and was flammable, then it would work just fine. I quickly poured some gas out of the spare can and doused my legs. I poured out a few more handfuls and rubbed it on my arms. After soaking every inch of my visible body with gasoline, I stood still and studied the mosquitos' behavior. I wasn't getting bit! I gladly put my headphones in and started mowing. After the initial dizziness of the toxic chemical soaking into my skin, I felt pretty confident that this was going to work. Now I don't know if I was distracted by the task of mowing or if I was just enjoying my music too much, but those mosquitos must have been waiting for that exact moment for the gasoline to wear off, because by the time I was done mowing, I was covered in bites. So much for gasoline. Well, at least one of my ideas worked- unless you find the huge mound of freshly cut grass in the backyard to be unattractive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad Witty said...

complain, complain. you know, in some countries, they don't even have grass.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not complaining at all... the purpose of the post was to tell you how ingenuitive i am.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home